Frequently Asked Questions

ATTENTION: This website is under construction. If you have any questions, please contact the student advisory service or the examination office.

The FAQs on these pages are divided into

as well as FAQs specifically for the programs of study

You will also find FAQs on the courses that are being phased out.

Disclaimer: Please note that these FAQs are intended to help you, but are not the definitive set of rules. Please consult (for Bachelor or Master) the examination regulations for the exact rules (an examination regulation is the "law book" for the program of study so to speak), and the module handbook for the structure of your program of study, including the standard compulsory courses, etc. You have access to all these documents through the respective degree programs from this website.

General Questions (Exams, absence due to illness, cases or hardship, ...)



Master of Education

General Questions

Who are the contact persons for study?

Student Advisory Service, Examination Committees, Examination Office, Deans of Studies, Student Council: Who do I contact with which questions?

The Student Advisory Service (in Computer Science: Dr. Wolfgang Merkle) provides you with information. Topics are all important questions about the study and around the study, such as knowledge questions about the examination regulations, the module handbook or about processes at the faculty. In this context, the Student Advisory Service also prepares the required certificates. In addition, the Student Advisory Service also serves as the first point of contact for general problems in studying, such as doubts about studying or personal emergencies.

The examination board (in Computer Science: Chairman Prof. Dr. Michael Gertz) is responsible for the recognition of academic achievements and also decides on the approval of deadline extensions. You can contact him via the Examination Office.

In the examination office (for Computer Science: Anke Sopka) your achievements are administered. You can ask all questions about incorrectly or differently recorded achievements here. This also applies to achievements to be recognized from other courses of study or from abroad, whereby these decisions are made by the respective examination board. You can also obtain a transcript of records here. In addition, final theses are registered and handed in at the Examinations Office, and final certificates are issued.

The deans of studies (for computer science: Prof. Dr. Filip Sadlo) are responsible for study planning, i.e. for ensuring that all types of courses are offered to a sufficient extent and that standard courses of our faculty offered in the same semester do not overlap. In addition, they are the contact persons in case of serious problems in teaching, such as serious complaints about lecturers.

The student council is not an official body of the faculty, so you cannot get any binding information here. On the other hand, it is precisely this unofficial character, together with the student perspective, that often makes it possible to provide a valuable supplement to the official offerings of the faculty and the university. Since the student council represents the interests of the students in the faculty, it is also a good contact for problems with lecturers or the current study planning. In addition, the student council still offers services such as lecture notes printing or collections of exam questions.

What is the examination office?

This is the office headed by Ms. Sopka, see also here. If you have questions or problems related to your computer science studies, this is your first point of contact (except for standard questions to the chair of the examination board, see list below). Please check the website for opening hours. Please note that Ms. Sopka has an extremely heavy workload towards the end of the semester due to the many certificates she has to prepare, so please be extra considerate/patient during this time.

Where can I find forms as PDF or Word documents?

Links to all relevant forms can be found here

What happens if I receive the wrong advice or information?

We all make mistakes, and so it may happen that you receive advice or information from study advisors, the Examination Office, the chair of the Examination Committee, the Dean of Studies, or one of our websites that contains errors or is simply wrong. We are usually inclined (but make no promises!) to correct problems that arise from such situations in order to minimize the damage done. But: The examination regulations and the module handbooks remain the final word, i.e. even if advice has been given that contradicts the examination regulations and/or the module handbook, the examination regulations and module handbooks are authoritative.

May I attend lectures from other faculties?

Yes, e.g. in the context of your application field. If you want to have a course of another faculty credited as a module in computer science (not application ara), check before attending the course whether it is also listed accordingly in the module handbook or in the LSF for the computer science courses. Otherwise, this course cannot be recognized.

Can these modules (from other faculties) be recognized in the elective area / ÜK (interdisciplinary skills)?

See the answer to the previous question. If you have any further questions, please consult with the student advisor.

Where can I see my grades?

You can view your grades in LSF and for some courses also in Müsli. The LSF is generally the "official service" for retrieving grades and transcripts. Note that it can sometimes take a while for grades to be posted after exams and forwarded to the LSF.

Can I get credits for courses I have taken at another university?

You will find detailed information on the recognition of examination results on these pages at

How many exam attempts do I have?

Please read the examination regulations §14 (Bachelor and Master).

A short summary:

A passed examination cannot be repeated. Examination performances that are not passed or are considered as not passed can be repeated once.

In the bachelor's program, special regulations apply to the compulsory modules that belong to the fundamentals (IPI, ITE, Mathematics Fundamentals 1-3), here three repetitions are allowed.

For the compulsory modules that do not belong to the fundamentals (IPK, IAD, IBN, ISW, IDB, ISW, ISem, IAP, IFP) and are not the bachelor's thesis, the examination board may allow the examinee to repeat the module a second time upon written request with reasons. This is only permitted in exceptional cases and only for a maximum of three modules.

Can I retake an exam to improve my grade?

No. See the relevant examination regulations.

Can I skip an exam and just take the post exam?

Here are excerpts from a November 2021 circular email from the Dean of Students:

Exam dates are not mandatory
There is no legal basis for an obligation to attend the first exam date/attempt offered. It should therefore be purely up to the student to decide whether to take the first exam (usually at the end of the semester), or only one of the following ones (e.g. at the end of the lecture-free period or beginning of the following semester). The lecturers have been advised that two dates must be offered, especially for written examinations.

If I achieved admission to an exam, am I automatically enrolled in the examination?

There is no uniform regulation here, please inform yourself in good time with the respective lecturer or tutor how the exam registration is handled. It is often the case that you have to register separately for the exam after successfully obtaining admission.

If I have an exam pass and do not show up for the exam: is that a fail (a 5.0)?

If you have registered for the exam, do not show up and cannot provide a medical certificate, you will be considered to have failed the attempt.

If I get admission to an exam, is it valid on the second attempt (one year later)?

In October 2021, the study committee decided that exam admissions are valid for the current semester and usually also for the following course, so the regulation was summarized as "exam admissions are valid for 3 semesters". It is the students' decision for which of the offered exams they use the attempts in this period.

I registered for the exam, but I got sick. What do I have to do?

Please submit a certificate promptly (within three days) to the respective lecturer, not to the Examination Office.

I have failed an exam twice. What can I do now?

Bachelor 100%, 50%:

If it is a fundamentals module (IPI, ITE, Math Fundamentals 1-3) you still have two attempts.

Bachelor and Master:

In case of compulsory modules you have the possibility to apply for a second repetition to the chairman of the examination board ("hardship application"). A second repetition is only permitted in exceptional cases and only for a maximum of three modules. In the case of compulsory elective modules, failure can be compensated by successfully completing another compulsory elective module.

What is a hardship application?

This is the application for a second repetition of a compulsory module to the chairman of the examination board. Hardship applications are only permitted in exceptional cases and only for a maximum of three modules. You can find a form template for this under "Forms".

Is there a set exam period in computer science?

The Committee adopted the following regulations for the examination period in January 2022:

Current semester:
Last week of lectures and first two weeks of the lecture-free period (3 weeks window).

Following semester:
last three weeks of the lecture-free period, as well as first week of the lecture-free period (4 weeks window)

Was versteht man unter Nachteilsausgleich?

Hier ein Auszug der Webseite der Universität Heidelberg, dort finden Sie auch weitere Informationen und Antragsformulare zu dem Thema:

Behinderungen und chronische Erkrankungen können eine Erschwernis in vielen Situationen des Studiums darstellen. Ein wichtiger Bereich ist die Erbringung von Prüfungsleistungen. Grundsätzlich gilt, dass behinderte und chronisch kranke Studierende inhaltlich die gleichen Prüfungsleistungen nachzuweisen haben wie ihre Kommilitonen und Kommilitoninnen. Wenn diese nicht unter den sonst üblichen Bedingungen erbracht werden können, steht chronisch kranken oder behinderten Studierenden ein Anspruch auf Nachteilsausgleich zu.

Beim Nachteilsausgleich geht es ausschließlich darum, die Chancengleichheit zu gewährleisten. Zu diesem Zweck sollen die Rahmenbedingungen für beeinträchtigte Studierende so angepasst werden, dass Ihnen Ihre Behinderung oder chronische Erkrankung bei der Erbringung von Prüfungsleistungen nicht zum Nachteil wird. Wie ein Nachteilsausgleich im konkreten Fall aussehen kann, hängt daher maßgeblich von den individuellen Beeinträchtigungen und den daraus entstehenden Nachteilen ab.

Questions specific to the Bachelor Computer Science

I study computer science and another subject in parallel - can I write a joint thesis?

In the case of parallel studies, a joint final thesis is unfortunately not possible; two theses must be written.

Was sind Streichmodule?

When calculating the overall grade (§20 PO), up to two compulsory modules, with the exception of the modules Bachelor thesis and Bachelor colloquium, can be disregarded in the calculation at the request of the student. I.e. they appear as ungraded modules on the transcript.

How/when do I register for the bachelor's thesis?

Please read our web pages thoroughly.

You should plan your Bachelor's thesis early (from the 4th semester) and take appropriate (in-depth) lectures, seminars, internships in your field of interest.

Approach a lecturer early and discuss possible topics, orientations and requirements for a bachelor's thesis in the respective field; of course, you can also make suggestions for a thesis yourself.

You can also find the form for registering for the bachelor's thesis on the website.



What do I have to do to change from the bachelor's to the master's programme?

Regardless of whether you have completed your bachelor's degree in computer science at Heidelberg University or at another university, you must meet the necessary requirements (see current admission regulations). You have to apply/register in heiCO and the whole further process takes place in heiCO. Please remember that you have to prove the appropriate English language skills.



What do I have to consider if I transfer to another university for the master's program?

You should find out as early as possible about the admission regulations and application deadlines for the master's program at the target university. If you are still studying for a semester with us in the Bachelor's program, you may still be able to take the courses required for admission with us and thus make the transition to the Master's program smoother. In addition, the application deadlines for external students often end very early. A typical problem in this context is that not all Bachelor's achievements are available by the application deadline and, for example, the grade of the Bachelor's thesis is still outstanding. In this case, many universities offer the possibility of submitting additional work. If time is very tight, the supervisor of your Bachelor's thesis can confirm that it has been passed before the actual assessment and submit the grade later.


Questions specific to the Master Program

Master of Education

The FAQ regarding the Master of Eduction is only available in German as the language of instruction is German.

Was bedeutet die Mangelfachregelung in den Fächern Informatik und Physik für die Zulassung zum Master of Education?

Das Land Baden-Württemberg sucht aktuell verstärkt Lehrkräfte in den Fächern Informatik und Physik. Um dort den Umstieg ins Lehramt zu vereinfachen, ist es derzeit möglich, mit einem rein fachlichen Bachelorabschluss in Informatik bzw. Physik zum Master of Education zugelassen zu werden. Für die Studierenden, die diesen Weg gehen, bedeutet dies allerdings, dass sie Studienleistungen eines zweiten Faches (hier oft: Mathematik) und der Bildungswissenschaften im Umfang des verpassten Studiums Bachelor 50% mit Lehramtsoption nachholen müssen.

In welchem Fach schreibe ich meine Masterarbeit?

Sie können Ihre Masterarbeit in einem Ihrer beiden Fächer oder in den Bildungswissenschaften schreiben.

Ist es möglich, eine Masterarbeit mit Thema in der Fachdidaktik zu schreiben?

Jein: Die Erstbetreuung einer Masterarbeit im Master of Education kann nur ein Mitglied unserer Fakultät übernehmen; folglich hat das Thema einen fachlichen Fokus. Ein Teil der Arbeit kann jedoch auch fachdidaktische Aspekte beinhalten. Ist dies der Fall, sollte die Zweitbetreuung in Absprache mit der Erstbetreuerin bzw. dem Erstbetreuer durch eine bei der Fakultät als prüfungsberechtigt akkreditierte externe Person – etwa aus der PH – erfolgen. Da dies nicht zulasten der fachlichen Qualität der Abschlussarbeit gehen soll, ist hier eine sorgfältige und vertrauensvolle Koordination zwischen allen Beteiligten vonnöten. Aufgrund des erhöhten Aufwands – insbesondere bei den Zweibetreuenden, die sonst nicht in Abschlussarbeiten der Universität eingebunden sind – ist eine derartige interdisziplinäre Arbeit nicht im Regelfall möglich.

Study Abroad (ERASMUS)